CLAREMONT, CA - The Beavers got back into SCIAC action against one of the conference's, and nation's, best teams on Friday as they dualed with Pomona-Pitzer.
The sixth ranked Sagehens posted an 8-1 victory as they dropped just a handful of games en route to the win.
A bright spot for the Beavers came during the No. 2 singles match as Jenny Sheng won for 11th time this season. Furthmore, the first-year is a perfect 5-0 when playing in that singles slot.
Pomona-Pitzer won the remaining five singles matches in straight sets. At the top singles slot a regionally ranked match-up between Mae Coyiuto (13th in the ITA West Region) and Monica Li (21st) when Coyiuto's way 6-1, 7-5.
The Sagehens won 24 of a possible 26 games in sweeping the doubles matches.
#6 Pomona-Pitzer 8, Caltech 1
1. Mae Coyiuto (PP) def. Monica Li (CALTECH) 6-1, 7-5
2. Jenny Sheng (CALTECH) def. Arthi Padmanabhan (PP) 6-2, 6-2
3. Rosemary Pelch (PP) def. Michelle Lee (CALTECH) 6-3, 6-2
4. Maddie Gordon (PP) def. Sophia Chen (CALTECH) 6-0, 6-1
5. Mallory Roth (PP) def. Valerie Pietrasz (CALTECH) 6-0, 6-0
6. Gillian HsiehRatliff (PP) def. Katie Antilla (CALTECH) 6-0, 6-1
1. Sammy Chao/Lea Lynn Yen (PP) def. Monica Li/Jenny Sheng (CALTECH) 8-2
2. Mae Coyiuto/Arthi Padmanabhan (PP) def. Sophia Chen/Michelle Lee (CALTECH) 8-0
3. Alex Antonoplis/Constance Wu (PP) def. Valerie Pietrasz/Katie Antilla (CALTECH) 8-0