PASADENA, CA - In a match-up between two teams ranked in their respective ITA region, Vassar came out on top by an 8-1 count over Caltech on Friday afternoon.
Vassar came into the match ranked 10th in the northeast region while Caltech is ranked 15th in the west region.
The team match started with singles play. Vassar won five of the six matches in straight sets. Caltech victory came at the No. 2 singles match as Jenny Sheng posted a 6-2, 6-1 win.
Vassar continued its momentum from singles play as they dropped just six games during the three doubles matches.
The Beavers will take the next handful of days away from the court as they finish-up winter term and take finals.
Vassar 8, Caltech 1
1. Samantha Schapiro (VASSAR) def. Monica Li (CALTECHW) 6-1, 6-3
2. Jenny Sheng (CALTECHW) def. Emily Hallewell (VASSAR) 6-2, 6-1
3. Winnie Yeates (VASSAR) def. Michelle Lee (CALTECHW) 6-4, 6-0
4. Lindsay Kantor (VASSAR) def. Michelle Tang (CALTECHW) 6-4, 6-3
5. Shayna Becker (VASSAR) def. Sophia Chen (CALTECHW) 6-1, 6-2
6. Kelsey Van Noy (VASSAR) def. Katie Antilla (CALTECHW) 6-0, 6-0
1. Samantha Schapiro/Shayna Becker (VASSAR) def. Michelle Lee/Jenny Sheng (CALTECHW) 8-2
2. Emily Hallewell/Winnie Yeates (VASSAR) def. Monica Li/Sophia Chen (CALTECHW) 8-1
3. Lauren Stauffer/Kelsey Van Noy (VASSAR) def. Michelle Tang/Valerie Pietrasz (CALTECHW) 8-3
Vassar 3-3; Regional ranking #10
Caltech 5-4; Regional ranking #15
Official: N/A T-3:16 A-39