PASADENA, CA - The Whittier women's tennis team rebounded from an early deficit to post a 6-3 team win over Caltech on Saturday afternoon.
Caltech put the visitors in an early hole by winning two of the three doubles match. The No. 1 duo of Rebekah Kitto and Monica Li solidified their top 10 regional ranking by topping Maegan Zamilpa and Liliana Serylo 8-5. The Beavers won a tight match at the third doubles spot as Valerie Pietrasz and Stephanie Kwan won 8-6.
The Poets rebounded by winning five of the six singles matches in straight sets.
In a match-up of regionally ranked singles players, Zamilpa won at the No. 1 singles spot over Li 6-0, 6-1.
Kitto, who came into the match ranked 25th in the region, continued her undefeated season with a 6-1, 6-0 win over Serylo.
Unfortunately for the homestanding Beavers, Whittier swept the No. 3 through No. 6 singles matches in posting the SCIAC win.
Tennis Match Results
Whittier College vs Caltech
3/30/2013 at Pasadena, CA
(Braun Tennis Courts)
Whittier College 6, Caltech 3
1. Maegan Zamilpa (WC) def. Monica Li (CALTECH) 6-0, 6-1
2. Rebekah Kitto (CALTECH) def. Liliana Serylo (WC) 6-1, 6-0
3. Adrienne Hamada (WC) def. Stephanie Kwan (CALTECH) 6-4, 6-0
4. Benay Weintraub (WC) def. Michelle Lee (CALTECH) 6-2, 6-3
5. Bree Campanero (WC) def. Jessica Yu (CALTECH) 7-6 (7-2), 6-2
6. Lauren Gelgur (WC) def. Zeke Millikan (CALTECH) 6-2, 6-1
1. Rebekah Kitto/Monica Li (CALTECH) def. Maegan Zamilpa/Liliana Serylo (WC) 8-5
2. Adrienne Hamada/Benay Weintraub (WC) def. Michelle Lee/Jessica Yu (CALTECH) 8-1
3. Valerie Pietrasz/Stephanie Kwan (CALTECH) def. Bree Campanero/Lauren Gelgur (WC) 8-6
Whittier College 8-5, 1-2; Regional ranking #17
Caltech 4-8, 0-3; Regional ranking #20
Official: Phyillis Taylor T-3:20 A-31