PASADENA, CA - In a battle of prestigious engineering and science schools, the MIT women's tennis team posted an 8-1 win over Caltech on Wednesday afternoon.
Highlighting the team match was the top doubles match. The Beavers tandem of Monica Li and Rebekah Kitto battled but fell 9-7 to Victoria Tam and Lauren Quisenberry. The MIT duo came into the match ranked eighth in the region.
MIT also grabbed wins at the No. 2 and No. 3 doubles matches in building momentum for singles play.
The Engineering won five of the six singles matches in straight sets en route to the team victory.
Kitto won in singles action. The junior posted a 6-1, 6-2 win at the No. 2 singles spot to keep her record flawless in 10 matches.
Tennis Match Results
MIT vs Caltech
3/27/2013 at Pasadena, CA
(Braun Tennis Courts)
#21 MIT 8, Caltech 1
1. Vynnie Kong (MIT) def. Monica Li (CALTECH) 6-3, 6-1
2. Rebekah Kitto (CALTECH) def. Victoria Tam (MIT) 6-1, 6-2
3. Meghana Vasireddy (MIT) def. Stephanie Kwan (CALTECH) 6-1, 6-1
4. Alana Peters (MIT) def. Michelle Lee (CALTECH) 6-3, 6-2
5. Iris Zhuang (MIT) def. Zeke Millikan (CALTECH) 6-0, 6-0
6. Ava Soleimany (MIT) def. Michelle Tang (CALTECH) 6-0, 6-0
1. Victoria Tam/Lauren Quisenberry (MIT) def. Rebekah Kitto/Monica Li (CALTECH) 9-7
2. Julia Hsu/Candace Wu (MIT) def. Valerie Pietrasz/Stephanie Kwan (CALTECH) 8-0
3. Meghana Vasireddy/Michelle Dutt (MIT) def. Hima Gudiptati/Michelle Lee (CALTECH) 8-3
MIT 13-2; National ranking #21; Regional ranking #9