PASADENA, Calif. – Whittier College posted a 7-2 victory over Caltech in a SCIAC women's tennis match-up on a windy afternoon at the Caltech tennis courts.
The Poets grabbed the match's momentum by winning all three doubles matches in 8-2 fashion. Whittier clinched the match by winning in straight sets at the No. 2, 3, 5 and 6 positions.
Caltech's Rebekah Kitto continued her strong singles play at the No. 1 slot. After dropping the first set the first year came back to win the second set before prevailing in a 10-point super tiebreak to win the match.
Similarly at the No. 4 singles spot, Wubing Ye fought back from a first set loss to post a three-set win for the Beavers.
It was the regular season home finale for the Beavers. Caltech is hosting the SCIAC Championships April 22-23.
1) Liliana Serylo/Adrienne Hamada (WC) def. Rebekah Kitto/Jessica Yu (Caltech) – 8-2
2) Chloe Dredge/Kady Oliker (WC) def. Wubing Ye/Stephanie Kwan (Caltech) – 8-2
3) Maryrose Vigorita/Lauren Gelgur (WC) def. Jessica Yeung/Cici Li (Caltech) – 8-2
1) Rebekah Kitto (Caltech) def. Liliana Serylo (WC) – 2-6, 6-3, (10-5)
2) Adrienne Hamada (WC) def. Stephanie Kwan (Caltech) – 6-1, 6-2
3) Chloe Dredge (WC) def. Jessica Yu (Caltech) – 6-1, 6-1
4) Wubing Ye (Caltech) def. Lauren Gelgur (WC) def. – 1-6, 7-6 (5), (10-6)
5) Kady Oliker (WC) def. Jessica Yeung (Caltech) – 6-2, 6-0
6) Maryrose Vigorita (WC) def. Michelle Tang (Caltech) – 6-2, 6-1