THOUSAND OAKS, CA - The Caltech men's tennis completed one of their most successful seasons in recent memory by wiping out Occidental 7-2 on Saturday afternoon at the SCIAC Championships
The victory over their nearest league rival put an exclamation point on a season and the career of two players. Caltech finishes the year with six wins; it's the most wins the program has accomplished since the 2006 season.
It is the programs first win over a SCIAC foe since beating La Verne at the end of the 2009 season. The victory snapped a 45-match losing skid against league opponents.
"It feels great to end the season by beating our crosstown rivals, Occidental. Four years of hard work really paid off and this season was one for the ages," said senior captain Devashish Joshi. "The win at the end was definitely a cherry on top of the icing. I'm extremely proud of the hard work and dedication that the team and coaches put in this season. It's been a pleasure representing Caltech for the past four years and I'll relish my memories for years to come."
Saturday's match started in Caltech's favor and the Beavers never let go of the momentum. Caltech took the No. 1 and No. 3 doubles matches as the duos of Ruthwick and Sathwick Pathireddy and Luka Mernik and Joshi cruised to their wins.
The Beavers rolled into the singles play with confidence. The Pathireddy twins both won their matches as Ruthwick posted a hard fought three-set win at the No. 2 slot while Sathwick won in straight sets as the No. 3 singles player. Sathwick ends his year with 11 singles wins; the second most in a single season in Beaver history.
Rushikesh Joshi rebounded from an opening set loss with a vengeance. After falling 6-1 in the opening frame, the sophomore won 12 of the final 13 games to win at the No. 4 position. Morgan Lebby won his team leading 12th singles match of the year with a 6-1, 6-3 victory at the fifth singles spot.
The clinching team point came in an appropriate spot as senior Luka Mernik dispatched of Jack Streeter 6-3, 6-2 at the sixth singles slot.
Caltech 7, Occidental 2
1. Josh Dancu (OXY) def. Devashish Joshi (CIT) 7-5, 6-1
2. Ruthwick Pathireddy (CIT) def. Kevin Siebs (OXY) 4-6, 6-2, 11-9
3. Sathwick Pathireddy (CIT) def. Eric Kazangian (OXY) 6-4, 6-4
4. Rushikesh Joshi (CIT) def. Avery Chernin (OXY) 1-6, 6-1, 6-0
5. Morgan Lebby (CIT) def. Jeremy Kirchoff (OXY) 6-1, 6-3
6. Luka Mernik (CIT) def. Jack Streeter (OXY) 6-3, 6-2
1. Ruthwick Pathireddy/Sathwick Pathireddy (CIT) def. Josh Dancu/Eric Kazangian (OXY) 8-2
2. Jeremy Kirchoff/Kevin Siebs (OXY) def. Morgan Lebby/Rushikesh Joshi (CIT) 8-6
3. Luka Mernik/Devashish Joshi (CIT) def. Jack Streeter/Avery Chernin (OXY) 8-4