REDLANDS, CA - Despite an 8-1 setback to the University of Redlands on Saturday afternoon, the Beavers put up several solid efforts on the courts against the 17th ranked team in the nation.
Although the Beavers lost two of the three doubles matches, they put forth a competitive effort. The No. 1 doubles team of Ruthwick and Sathwick Pathireddy fought to the bitter end before falling 9-7 to Patrick Lipscomb and Gram Leahy. At the third doubles slot Morgan Lebbyand Rushikesh Joshi posted a convincing 8-4 win over Jake Ly and Ted Burchett.
In two of the singles matches Caltech forced their opponents into a decisive final set. Sathwick Pathireddy rebounded from a 6-0 loss in the opening set to take the set stanza 6-4. However, the first-years effort fell just short in the third set super-tiebreaker 10-7.
Luka Mernik started his match against Max Licona well as the senior won the first set 6-2. However, Licona rebounded to post back-to-back 6-3 victories in the final two frames to claim the singles match at the No. 6 position.
#19 University of Redlands 8, Caltech 1
1. Patrick Lipscomb (URM) def. Devashish Joshi (CALTECH) 6-2, 6-1
2. Parker Wilson (URM) def. Ruthwick Pathireddy (CALTECH) 6-4, 6-2
3. Tom Suchodolski (URM) def. Sathwick Pathireddy (CALTECH) 6-0, 4-6, 10-7
4. Gram Leahy (URM) def. Rushikesh Joshi (CALTECH) 6-1, 6-4
5. Ted Burchett (URM) def. Morgan Lebby (CALTECH) 6-2, 6-0
6. Max Licona (URM) def. Luka Mernik (CALTECH) 2-6, 6-3, 6-3
1. Patrick Lipscomb/Gram Leahy (URM) def. Ruthwick Pathireddy/Sathwick Pathireddy(CALTECH) 9-7
2. Max Licona/Teddy Jones (URM) def. Devashish Joshi/Luka Mernik (CALTECH) 8-3
3. Morgan Lebby/Rushikesh Joshi (CALTECH) def. Jake Ly/Ted Burchett (URM) 8-4