PASADENA, CA - The Beavers started their home schedule in grand fashion by taking out Occidental 6-3 on Saturday afternoon.
A huge difference for Caltech in posting the win was the play of its three first-years. The trio combined to go undefeated in their five matches.
Sathwick and Ruthwick Pathireddy teamed up to win the second doubles match 8-3. In singles play Sathwick posted a 7-5, 6-3 victory at the No. 3 singles position while his twin brother won 6-0, 7-6 (2) at the No. 4 slot.
Luka Mernik won 6-3, 7-6 (6) at the No. 5 singles position.
It is the first time since the 2004 season the Beavers knocked off Occidental.
While the two teams are SCIAC foes, this match does not count in the league standings. Their April 4th match will be a conference match.
Tennis Match Results
Occidental vs Caltech
Feb 08, 2014 at Pasadena, CA
(Braun Tennis Courts)
Caltech 6, Occidental 3
1. Josh Dancu (OXY) def. Devashish Joshi (CALTECH) 6-2, 6-1
2. Kevin Siebs (OXY) def. Rushikesh Joshi (CALTECH) 1-6, 6-1, 6-3
3. Sathwick Pathireddy (CALTECH) def. Avery Howard (OXY) 7-5, 6-3
4. Ruthwick Pathireddy (CALTECH) def. Jack Streeters (OXY) 6-0, 7-6 (7-2)
5. Luka Mernik (CALTECH) def. Jessie Kreger (OXY) 6-3, 7-6 (8-6)
6. Morgan Lebby (CALTECH) def. David Cotton (OXY) 6-4, 6-4
1. Josh Dancu/Avery Howard (OXY) def. Devashish Joshi/Luka Mernik (CALTECH) 8-4
2. Sathwick Pathireddy/Ruthwick Pathireddy (CALTECH) def. Kevin Siebs/Jack Streeters (OXY) 8-3
3. Morgan Lebby/Rushikesh Joshi (CALTECH) def. Jessie Kreger/Trevor Brown (OXY) 8-5
Official: N/A T-3:18 A-39