PASADENA, CA - The Rochester men's tennis squad posted an 8-1 victory over Caltech on Monday afternoon.
The Caltech doubles duo of Luka Mernik and Devashish Joshi played tough against the regionally ranked team of Julian Danko and Boris Borovcanin at the No. 1 spot. However, the squad from New York posted an 8-6 win.
Mernik was able to exact a level of revenge by winning his singles match in three-set. The junior dropped the first set but rebounded to win the final two frames in claiming the No. 3 singles match.
The Yellow Jackets, who came into the match ranked 19th in the region, swept the remaining singles matches to aid in the win.
Tennis Match Results
University of Rochester vs Caltech
03/11/2013 at Pasadena, CA
(Braun Tennis Courts)
University of Rochester 8, Caltech 1
1. Boris Borovcanin (URM) def. Devashish Joshi (CALTECHM) 6-3, 6-2
2. Julian Danko (URM) def. Rushikesh Joshi (CALTECHM) 6-1, 6-1
3. Luka Mernik (CALTECHM) def. Ben Shapiro (URM) 3-6, 7-5, 10-5
4. Matthew Levine (URM) def. Amol Kamat (CALTECHM) 6-0, 6-0
5. Joel Allen (URM) def. Alex Henny (CALTECHM) 6-4, 6-2
6. Ian Baranowski (URM) def. Brian Kim (CALTECHM) 6-0, 6-0
1. Julian Danko/Boris Borovcanin (URM) def. Luka Mernik/Devashish Joshi (CALTECHM) 8-6
2. Matthew Levine/Ben Shapiro (URM) def. Amol Kamat/Rushikesh Joshi (CALTECHM) 8-5
3. Joel Allen/Ian Baranowski (URM) def. JD Co-Reyes/Ishan Mehta (CALTECHM) 8-2
University of Rochester 8-2; Regional ranking #19
Official: N/A T-3:03 A-28