THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. -- At the season ending SCIAC women's tennis championships, the Caltech team fell in both their matches on the opening day but nearly pulled off an upset on the second, and final, day of the event.
#14 Pomona-Pitzer 5, Caltech 0
In their opening match against second seed Pomona-Pitzer, the nation's 14th ranked squad flexed their muscle in posting a 5-0 victory. In a match that was played until a decision, the Sagehens dropped just one game in the first five completed matches.
1. #27 Jamie Solomon (P-P) vs. Rebekah Kitto (CIT) 6-1, 2-3, unfinished
2. Arthi Padmanabhan (P-P) vs. Wubing Ye (CIT) 5-2, unfinished
3. Jessica Hsu (P-P) vs. Stephanie Kwan (CIT) 6-3, 0-1, unfinished
4. Nicole Holsted (P-P) def. Jessica Yu (CIT) 6-0, 6-0
5. Emily Kawahara (P-P) def. Michelle Tang (CIT) 6-1, 6-0
6. Kristin Brikmanis (P-P) vs. Zeke Millikan (CIT) 6-3, 1-0, unfinished
1. Jamie Solomon/Kara Wang (P-P) def. Wubing Ye/Stephanie Kwan (CIT) 8-0
2. Arthi Padmanabhan/Sammy Chao (P-P) def. Rebekah Kitto/Jessica Yu (CIT) 8-0
3. Nicole Holsted/Emily Kawahara (P-P) def. Jessica Yeung/Michelle Lee (CIT) 8-0
Whittier 7, Caltech 2
The Poets jumped out to a quick 3-0 lead in the match after sweeping the doubles matches. Caltech fought hard in the singles portion of the team match but couldn't overcome their deficit.
Rebekah Kitto continued her strong play against league foes as she posted a straight set win at the No. 1 singles spot. Jessica Yeung also tallied a straight set win by dispatching of Laren Gelgur in the sixth singles position.
Michelle Lee played a marathon three-setter but narrowly fell at the No. 5 singles slot.
1. Rebekah Kitto (CIT) def. Liliana Serylo (WC) 6-3, 6-1
2. Chloe Dredge (WC) def. Wubing Ye (CIT) 6-4, 6-2
3. Adrienne Hamada (WC) def. Stephanie Kwan (CIT) 6-4, 6-2
4. Kady Oliker (WC) def. Jessica Yu (CIT) 6-3, 6-1
5. Benay Weintraub (WC) def. Michelle Lee (CIT) 6-4, 5-7, 1-0 (11-9)
6. Jessica Yeung (CIT) def. Lauren Gelgur (WC) 6-0, 7-6 (7-3)
1. Chloe Dredge/Liliana Serylo (WC) def. Wubing Ye/Stephanie Kwan (CIT) 8-1
2. Adrienne Hamada/Rachel Sugiyama (WC) def. Rebekah Kitto/Jessica Yu (CIT) 8-4
3. Kady Oliker/Benay Weintraub (WC) def. Jessica Yeung/Michelle Lee (CIT) 8-2
La Verne 5, Caltech 4
Caltech nearly pulled the upset of the fifth seeded Leopards in their final match of the 2012 season. After falling by one point during the regular season to La Verne, the Beavers found themselves on the wrong side of a 5-4 decision once again.
La Verne won two of three doubles match in quick fashion but a victory by Rebekah Kitto and Jessica Yu in the second doubles position kept the Beavers in contention.
The Beavers posted wins at the first through third singles spots - all of which in straight sets - but the Leopards had just enough depth to pull out the match. La Verne won at the No. 4, No. 5 and No. 6 singles position to clinch the match.
1. Rebekah Kitto (CIT) def. Laina Matsuda (ULV) 6-2, 7-6 (7-4)
2. Wubing Ye (CIT) def. Tarika Krishnamurthy (ULV) 6-0, 7-6 (7-0)
3. Stephanie Kwan (CIT) def. Brooke Hines (ULV) 6-4, 6-4
4. Carly Tucker (ULV) def. Jessica Yu (CIT) 6-4, 6-1
5. Valerie Lezin (ULV) def. Michelle Lee (CIT) 6-1, 6-2
6. Arielle Montielh (ULV) def. Jessica Yeung (CIT) 6-1, 6-4
1. Laina Matsuda/Brooke Hines (ULV) def. Wubing Ye/Stephanie Kwan (CIT) 8-1
2. Rebekah Kitto/Jessica Yu (CIT) def. Carly Tucker/Tarika Krishnamurthy (ULV) 9-7
3. Arielle Montielh/Valerie Lezin (ULV) def. Jessica Yeung/Michelle Lee (CIT) 8-0