PASADENA, Calif. -- The Caltech women's tennis claimed a dramatic 5-4 win over Occidental on Friday afternoon in their final SCIAC match of the regular season.
The victory for the Beavers is the first league regular season win for the program since the 2007 season when they topped Whittier 9-0. The win snaps a 30-match regular season SCIAC losing streak.
Caltech came out strong as they took the doubles point by winning at the second and third slots in tight matches.
The drama for the Beavers happened in singles play as the visitors won three of the first four singles matches. Rebekah Kitto took her match for the Beavers at the top singles position but Occidental won at No. 2, No. 4 and No. 6 to take a 4-3 lead in the team match.
Jessica Yu won a nip-and-tuck three-set match at the fifth singles position to set-up a fantastic finish.
After spliting the first two sets at the No. 3 singles position Stephanie Kwan and Frances Hutton went toe-to-toe in the final frame. Kwan found herself trailing 5-4 and 6-5 but fought back to force a tiebreaker to decide the match. With the tiebreaker knotted at 2-2, Kwan nudged ahead and never let go of the momentum to claim the victory.
Tennis Match Results
Occidental College vs Caltech
Apr 20, 2012 at Pasadena, CA
(Braun Tennis Courts)
Caltech 5, Occidental College 4
1. Rebekah Kitto (CIT-W) def. Krishnaveni Subbiah (OXY) 6-0, 6-1
2. Rachel Buckner (OXY) def. Wubing Ye (CIT-W) 6-0, 6-4
3. Stephanie Kwan (CIT-W) def. Frances Hutton (OXY) 6-4, 2-6, 7-6 (7-3)
4. Katrina Gould (OXY) def. Michelle Lee (CIT-W) 6-2, 6-1
5. Jessica Yu (CIT-W) def. Sara Chareny (OXY) 6-4, 4-6, 6-4
6. Amber Gadsden (OXY) def. Jessica Yeung (CIT-W) 2-6, 6-2, 6-2
1. Rachel Buckner/Krishnaveni Subbiah (OXY) def. Stephanie Kwan/Wubing Ye (CIT-W) 8-2
2. Jessica Yu/Rebekah Kitto (CIT-W) def. Frances Hutton/Katrina Gould (OXY) 8-6
3. Michelle Lee/Jessica Yeung (CIT-W) def. Sara Chareny/Amber Gadsden (OXY) 8-4
Official: N/A T-4:22 A-37