Occidental Edges Out Beavers in Close Match
LOS ANGELES – In a tightly contest match-up, the Occidental men's tennis team exacted a measure of revenge by knocking off Caltech 6-3 on Friday afternoon at School Canyon Country Club.
Earlier this season the Beavers beat Occidental by the same score to start the year. While the early season victory was considered a non-conference match, Friday's contest will count in the league standings.
The Tigers started things in their favor by winning two of the three doubles matches. Occidental won at the top spot as well as the number three match 8-3 and 8-4 respectively. The twin duo of Ruthwick and Sathwick Pathireddy pulled out a close 8-6 win at the second slot.
The final two singles matches proved to be vital. Both the No. 4 and No. 5 singles matches were close throughout but Occidental pulled out a pair of wins. Trevor Brown won a tight two-setter 7-6, 6-4 in the fourth slot while Avery Chernin cameback to win a three-setter at the fifth position.
Occidental College 6, Caltech 3
1. Josh Dancu (OXYM) def. Devashish Joshi (CITM) 6-2, 6-0
2. Kevin Siebs (OXYM) def. Sathwick Pathireddy (CITM) 6-4, 6-2
3. Ruthwick Pathireddy (CITM) def. Eric Kazangian (OXYM) 6-4, 6-4
4. Trevor Brown (OXYM) def. Rushikesh Joshi (CITM) 7-6, 6-4
5. Avery Chernin (OXYM) def. Luka Mernik (CITM) 2-6, 7-6, 7-5
6. Morgan Lebby (CITM) def. David Cotton (OXYM) 6-4, 6-1
1. Josh Dancu/Eric Kazangian (OXYM) def. Devashish Joshi/Luka Mernik (CITM) 8-3
2. Ruthwick Pathireddy/Sathwick Pathireddy (CITM) def. Kevin Siebs/Trevor Brown (OXYM) 8-6
3. Avery Chernin/David Cotton (OXYM) def. Morgan Lebby/Rushikesh Joshi (CITM) 8-4