Beavers Fight Hard Against 13th Ranked Sagehens
PASADENA, CA - Stepping back into SCIAC play for the first time in over a month, the Beavers took on the 13th ranked Pomona-Pitzer Sagehens.
Caltech gave the Sagehens one of their biggest fights in recent memory but Pomona-Pitzer prevailed 7-2 on Saturday afternoon.
During doubles play the No. 1 tandem of Ruthwick and Sathwick Pathireddy pushed the Pomona-Pitzer duo of Jonathan Kim and Sam Crawford to the limited before falling 9-7. The Sagehens won 8-4 and 8-3 respectively at the final two doubles position.
Taking a 3-0 lead into singles play Caltech put up a solid effort. Jake Yasgoor and Graham Maassen won in straight sets at the top two spot while Spencer Simonides posted a 6-1, 6-1 win at the final singles spot.
The middle spots in singles play is where the action really took place. Ruthwick Pathireddy won in straight sets over Michael Chang 7-6 (5), 6-2. It is his eighth win of the season which is tied for the top mark on the team.
Rushikesh Joshi took his opening set 7-5 but fell just short in a second set tiebreak before falling in a third-set 10-point super tiebreak at the fourth singles slot.
The final match on the court went down to the wire. Morgan Lebby fought off a match point before posting a 6-2, 6-7 (4), 12-10 win in the fifth singles match. Lebby now has eight wins on the season.
#13 Pomona-Pitzer 7, Caltech 2
1. Jake Yasgoor (P-P) def. Devashish Joshi (CALTECH) 6-1, 6-3
2. Graham Maassen (P-P) def. Sathwick Pathireddy (CALTECH) 6-2, 6-4
3. Ruthwick Pathireddy (CALTECH) def. Michael Chang (P-P) 7-6 (7-5), 6-2
4. Anthony Bello (P-P) def. Rushikesh Joshi (CALTECH) 5-7, 7-6 (7-4), 10-2
5. Morgan Lebby (CALTECH) def. Kevin Wei (P-P) 6-2, 6-7 (4-7), 12-10
6. Spencer Simonides (P-P) def. Alex Henny (CALTECH) 6-1, 6-1
1. Jonathan Kim/Sam Crawford (P-P) def. Ruthwick Pathireddy/Sathwick Pathireddy (CALTECH) 9-7
2. Graham Maassen/Connor Hudson (P-P) def. Morgan Lebby/Rushikesh Joshi (CALTECH) 8-4
3. Jake Yasgoor/Connor Sutton (P-P) def. Devashish Joshi/Alex Henny (CALTECH) 8-3