Beavers Get Back in the Win Column Against PLU; Doubles Mark Set
PASADENA, CA - The Beavers put themselves back in the win column with a convincing 8-1 victory against Pacific Lutheran on Saturday.
After falling in their last two matches, Caltech moved back to the .500 mark after their 10th team match of 2014.
It was all around effort in singles play as Caltech dropped just one set in winning five of the six matches. Sathwick Pathireddy won the first time in his second match at the No. 2 slot with a 6-1, 6-2 decision. Rushikesh Joshi tallied a solid 6-3, 6-2 win in the third singles position.
Ruthwick Pathireddy played effectively and methodically in his 6-1, 6-3 triumpth at the fourth singles position. In earning his fifth singles victory of the season, Luka Mernik was pushed to three sets but the senior prevailed 4-6, 6-2, 6-2. Morgan Lebby rounded out the fine singles effort for Caltech witha 6-1, 6-2 triumpth.
The team matched closed out with doubles play as Caltech came away with three hard fought wins. Devashish Joshi and Mernik cameback from an early deficit to record a 9-7 win. The duo now has 12 victories together in their career which sets the school record for most doubles victories.
The Pathireddy twins won for the sixth time at the No. 2 position with an 8-4 victory. The double sweep was made complete by Rushikesh Joshi and Lebby's 8-6 tally at the third slot.
Caltech 8, Pacific Lutheran University 1
1. Stadter, Sam (PLU) def. Devashish Joshi (CALTECH) 6-3, 6-3
2. Sathwick Pathireddy (CALTECH) def. Yannello, Jake (PLU) 6-1, 6-2
3. Rushikesh Joshi (CALTECH) def. Berg, Neal (PLU) 6-3, 6-2
4. Ruthwick Pathireddy (CALTECH) def. Okubo, James (PLU) 6-1, 6-3
5. Luka Mernik (CALTECH) def. Bulaclac, Brandon (PLU) 4-6, 6-2, 6-2
6. Morgan Lebby (CALTECH) def. Marsh, Jeremy (PLU) 6-1, 6-2
1. Devashish Joshi/Luka Mernik (CALTECH) def. Yannello, Jake/Herron, Spencer (PLU) 9-8 (5)
2. Ruthwick Pathireddy/Sathwick Pathireddy (CALTECH) def. Berg, Neal/McCartney, Hayden (PLU) 8-4
3. Rushikesh Joshi/Morgan Lebby (CALTECH) def. Stadter, Sam/Okubo, James (PLU) 8-6