Nationally Ranked Amherst Tops Caltech
PASADENA, CA - Facing off against one of the nation's best teams, Caltech fell 9-0 to Amherst on Friday afternoon.
The Jeffs, who have made five consecutive apperances at the NCAA Championships, came into the match ranked fourth in the country.
Mernik played a solid match at the No. 5 singles match against Scheiner. The senior dropped to close sets 6-4, 7-5.
For the first time this season, Caltech's Sathwick Pathireddy played in the second singles spot. After playing his first matches in the third position, the first-year moved up a slot. Although he fell in straight sets, he still is tied for the team lead with six wins.
The Beaver return to the court on Saturday morning when they host Pacific Lutheran at 10 a.m.
Amherst 9, Caltech 0
1. Michael Solimano (AMHERST) def. Devashish Joshi (CALTECH) 6-2, 6-1
2. Anton Zykov (AMHERST) def. Sathwick Pathireddy (CALTECH) 6-2, 6-1
3. Andrew Yaraghi (AMHERST) def. Rushikesh Joshi (CALTECH) 6-2, 6-1
4. Justin Reindel (AMHERST) def. Ruthwick Pathireddy (CALTECH) 6-1, 6-2
5. Andrew Scheiner (AMHERST) def. Luka Mernik (CALTECH) 6-4, 7-5
6. Philip Qu (AMHERST) def. Morgan Lebby (CALTECH) 6-1, 6-4
1. Chris Dale/Andrew Scheiner (AMHERST) def. Devashish Joshi/Luka Mernik (CALTECH) 8-6
2. Joey Fritz/Aaron Revzin (AMHERST) def. Ruthwick Pathireddy/Sathwick Pathireddy (CALTECH) 8-1
3. Philip Qu/Andrew Yaraghi (AMHERST) def. Rushikesh Joshi/Morgan Lebby (CALTECH) 8-4