ORANGE, CA - During their final road match of the 2013 campaign the Caltech men's tennis dropped a 9-0 decision to new SCIAC foe Chapman.
Doubles play was tight through out but the home team prevailed in each match heading into singles play.
During singles play both Rushikesh Joshi and Ishan Mehta played tight three-set matches. At the No. 2 spot Joshi won the first set 6-2 but fell in the second set which forced a third-set super tiebreaker. Joshi dropped a tough 12-10 decision in the third frame.
At the No. 6 singles position, Metha fought back after losing the first set to force a super tiebreaker. However, he couldn't keep the momentum going as he fell 10-3.
Luka Mernik fought well at the No. 3 singles spot but dropped a 7-5, 7-5 decision.
Members of the squad will travel to Ojai this weekend for the annual Ojai Valley Tournament hosted near Santa Barbara.
Tennis Match Results
Caltech vs Chapman University
Apr 19, 2013 at Anaheim, CA
(Anaheim Hills Racquet Club)
Chapman University 9, Caltech 0
1. Troy Akin (CU-M) def. Devashish Joshi (CALTECHM) 6-2, 6-4
2. Kyle Coates (CU-M) def. Rushikesh Joshi (CALTECHM) 4-6, 6-2, 12-10
3. Brett Buford (CU-M) def. Luka Mernik (CALTECHM) 7-5, 7-5
4. Sam Farzani (CU-M) def. Alex Henny (CALTECHM) 6-3, 6-0
5. Hunter Morris (CU-M) def. JD Co-Reyes (CALTECHM) 6-1, 6-2
6. Zach Resnick (CU-M) def. Ishan Mehta (CALTECHM) 6-2, 2-6, 10-3
1. Troy Akin/Brett Buford (CU-M) def. Devashish Joshi/Luka Mernik (CALTECHM) 8-4
2. Kyle Coates/Sam Farzani (CU-M) def. Rushikesh Joshi/JD Co-Reyes (CALTECHM) 8-6
3. Hunter Morris/Zach Resnick (CU-M) def. Ishan Mehta/Alex Henny (CALTECHM) 8-4
Caltech 0-18, 0-7
Chapman University 6-11; Regional ranking #13
Official: N/A T-3:13 A-23