#1 CMS Prevails Against Beavers
CLAREMONT, CA - Playing against the nation's top ranked team, the Caltech men's tennis battled but fell to ClaremontMuddScripps 9-0 on Saturday afternoon.
It was the sixth time in 2013 the Beavers competed against a nationally ranked opponent.
The No. 1 singles match proved to be a solid contest between Skyler Butts and Devashish Joshi. (Joshi YouTube Video) Butts prevailed 6-3, 6-4. Luka Mernik battled well at the No. 3 singles match before falling 6-1, 6-4 to Mac Cahill.
Joshi and Mernik teamed up to face Neel Kotrappa and Skyler Butts at the No. 1 doubles spot. the Stags duo came into the match ranked 11th in the west region and pulled away for an 8-5 win.
Caltech travels to new SCIAC foe Chapman on Friday afternoon as they near the end of their schedule.
#1 Claremont-Mudd-Scripps (9) vs. Caltech (0)
April 13, 2013 at Claremont, CA
(Biszantz Family Tennis Center)
1. Neel Kotrappa / Skyler Butts (CMS) def. Devashish Joshi / Luka Mernik (Caltech) 8-5
2. Alex Johnson / Zhenya Pereverzin (CMS) def. Ishan Metha / Amol Kamat (Caltech) 8-1
3. Mac Cahill / Matt Ellis (CMS) def. JD Co-Reyes / Rushikesh Joshi (Caltech) 8-3
1. Skyler Butts (CMS) def. Devashish Joshi (Caltech) 6-3, 6-4
2. Neel Kotrappa (CMS) def. Rushikesh Joshi (Caltech) 6-0, 6-0
3. Mac Cahill (CMS) def. Luka Mernik (Caltech) 6-1, 6-4
4. Oliver Seifert (CMS) def. Alex Henry (Caltech) 6-1, 6-0
5. Matt Ellis (CMS) def. Amol Kamat (Caltech) 6-0, 6-1
6. Bryan Mehall (CMS) def. Brian Kim (Caltech) 6-0, 6-1