PASADENA, CA - The Caltech men's tennis team played the 17th ranked Gustavus Adolphus team tough but fell 8-1 on Wednesday afternoon.
In doubles the No. 1 duo of Devashish Joshi and Luka Mernik went up 3-0 in their match but David Brown and Mitchell Elofson battled back to win a tense match 9-7. The Gusties posted 8-3 and 8-5 wins respectively at the second and third doubles spots.
During singles play the Beavers got a solid effort from Rushikesh Joshi at the No. 2 spot. The first-year posted a hard fought 6-2, 2-6, (10-7) win in grabbing Caltech's team point.
The Gusties won the remaining singles matches in straight sets. At the No. 1 singles spot Devashish Joshi pushed Bryan Miles to a tiebreaker in the first set but ultimately fell 7-6 (4), 6-2.
Tennis Match Results
Caltech vs Gustavus Adolphus College
04/03/2013 at Pasadena, CA
(Braun Tennis Courts)
#17 Gustavus Adolphus College 8, Caltech 1
1. Bryan Miles (GAC) def. Devashish Joshi (CALTECHM) 7-6 (7-4), 6-2
2. Rushikesh Joshi (CALTECHM) def. Mitchell Elofson (GAC) 6-2, 2-6, 10-7
3. David Brown (GAC) def. Luka Mernik (CALTECHM) 6-3, 6-4
4. Logan Peterson (GAC) def. Alex Henny (CALTECHM) 6-1, 6-0
5. Matt Baker (GAC) def. Amol Kamat (CALTECHM) 6-0, 6-0
6. Michael Lieberman (GAC) def. JD Co-Reyes (CALTECHM) 6-2, 6-4
1. David Brown/Mitchell Elofson (GAC) def. Luka Mernik/Devashish Joshi (CALTECHM) 9-7
2. Sam Hjelm/Ben Halvorson (GAC) def. Amol Kamat/Ishan Mehta (CALTECHM) 8-3
3. Matt Baker/Colin Rieke (GAC) def. Alex Henny/Rushikesh Joshi (CALTECHM) 8-5
Gustavus Adolphus College 14-6; National ranking #17; Regional ranking #4
Official: N/A T-2:48 A-29