PASADENA, CA - The Whitworth men's tennis team pulled out a close team match by a 7-2 count on Monday afternoon.
The two squads played singles first and the Pirates claimed key wins to build momentum. Whitworth won straight set matches at the No. 1, No. 5 and No. 6 singles matches. Caltech's Rushikesh Joshi won in straight set (6-3, 6-4) at the second singles spot.
The No. 3 and No. 4 singles matches proved vital and both went three sets. Luka Mernik won 6-4, 4-6, 6-2 at the third spot. However, Whitworth's Blake Miller pulled out a 6-2, 4-6, 6-3 win at the fourth singles match heading into singles play.
Whitworth secured the win by winning three tightly contested doubles matches. The visitors won the No. 1 doubles match 9-8 by claiming the tiebreaker 7-2. The Pirates prevailed in the second and third doubles matches by scores of 8-6 and 8-5 respectively.
Tennis Match Results
Whitworth vs Caltech
03/25/2013 at Pasadena, CA
(Braun Tennis Courts)
Whitworth 7, Caltech 2
1. Williams, Cameron (WHTW) def. Devashish Joshi (CALTECHM) 6-4, 6-1
2. Rushikesh Joshi (CALTECHM) def. Brigham, Drew (WHTW) 6-3, 6-4
3. Luka Mernik (CALTECHM) def. Engelmann, Chris (WHTW) 6-4, 4-6, 6-2
4. Miller, Blake (WHTW) def. Alex Henny (CALTECHM) 6-2, 4-6, 6-3
5. Talbot, John (WHTW) def. Amol Kamat (CALTECHM) 6-2, 6-4
6. McConnell, Dustin (WHTW) def. Brian Kim (CALTECHM) 6-1, 6-2
1. Williams, Cameron/Brigham, Drew (WHTW) def. Devashish Joshi/Luka Mernik (CALTECHM) 9-8 (7-2)
2. Adams, Drew/Engelmann, Chris (WHTW) def. Amol Kamat/Ishan Mehta (CALTECHM) 8-6
3. Miller, Blake/Patterson, Troy (WHTW) def. Rushikesh Joshi/Dylan Schultz (CALTECHM) 8-5
Singles Played First
Official: N/A T-3:44 A-34