PASADENA, CA -- The 14th ranked Middlebury men's tennis team posted a 9-0 win over Caltech on Sunday afternoon.
It is the second time in three days that the Beavers have faced-off with a team ranked in the nation's top 20.
The Panthers won each singles match in straight sets in tallying the win. Two Caltech players got their first apperances of the season in the varsity line-up as Arun Chandra and Leo Zornberg played in their first collegiate singles matches.
During doubles play the Caltech duo of Devashish Joshi and Luka Mernik pushed the team of William Oberrender and Chris Frost at the No. 1 double spot. However the Middlebury duo pulled out the match 8-5.
Caltech will continue their stretch of home matches on Monday morning when they host Whitworth at 11 a.m.
Tennis Match Results
Middlebury vs Caltech
03/24/2013 at Pasadena, CA
(Braun Tennis Courts)
#14 Middlebury 9, Caltech 0
1. Jackson Frons (MC) def. Brian Kim (CALTECHM) 6-0, 6-0
2. Jack Welsh (MC) def. Alex Henny (CALTECHM) 6-1, 6-2
3. Allen Jackson (MC) def. Ishan Mehta (CALTECHM) 6-0, 6-1
4. Courtney Mountfield (MC) def. JD Co-Reyes (CALTECHM) 6-0, 6-0
5. James Burke (MC) def. Arun Chandra (CALTECHM) 6-0, 6-0
6. Peter Heidrich (MC) def. Leo Zornberg (CALTECHM) 6-0, 6-2
1. William Oberrender/Chris Frost (MC) def. Devashish Joshi/Luka Mernik (CALTECHM) 8-5
2. Peter Heidrich/James Burke (MC) def. Amol Kamat/Ishan Mehta (CALTECHM) 8-0
3. Ari Smolyar/Allen Jackson (MC) def. Dylan Schultz/Rushikesh Joshi (CALTECHM) 8-1
Middlebury 5-0; National ranking #14; Regional ranking #4
Official: N/A T-2:03 A-19