PASADENA, Calif. -- The St. John's (MN) men's tennis squad posted a 7-2 win over Caltech on Saturday evening in a non-conference match-up at the Braun Courts.
The Johnies took two of the three doubles matches to go up early in the team match. The visitors won three of the five singles matches in straight sets in posting the victory.
Caltech got a win at the top doubles slot as the duo of Devashish Joshi and Luka Mernik tallied an 8-4 win. Alex Runkel got his first win of the season in his opening singles match of 2012 with a 6-4, 6-1 triumpth at the No. 5 singles position.
Tennis Match Results
St. John's (MN) vs Caltech
3/3/2012 at Pasadena, CA
(Braun Tennis Courts)
St. John's (MN) 7, Caltech 2
1. Fabricio Moncada (SJU) def. Devashish Joshi (CALTECH) 3-6, 6-2, 10-6
2. Ian Hansen (SJU) def. Luka Mernik (CALTECH) 6-3, 7-5
3. Joe Laue (SJU) def. Anish Agarwal (CALTECH) 6-2, 4-6, 6-3
4. Zach Shriwise (SJU) def. Jeff Shen (CALTECH) 6-4, 7-6 (7-5)
5. Alex Runkel (CALTECH) def. Alex Wiegmann (SJU) 6-4, 6-1
6. Anh Doan (SJU) def. Ryan Batterman (CALTECH) 6-3, 6-3
1. Devashish Joshi/Luka Mernik (CALTECH) def. Zach Shriwise/Ian Hansen (SJU) 8-4
2. Willie Paul/Fabricio Moncada (SJU) def. Fred Zhao/Amol Kamat (CALTECH) 8-3
3. Connor Rust/Trent Fader (SJU) def. Anish Agarwal/Alex Runkel (CALTECH) 8-2
St. John's (MN) 2-6
Official: N/A T-3:11 A-21